A bike power meters ability to compute one’s workload in real time has basically altered the way that cyclists train.
By using a bicycle power meter, there is no more guessing about how your fitness levels are increasing. You will have no more wildly overblown first intervals wrecking the remainder of the set.
With a bicycle power meter, you can see the quantity and quality of work you are doing in any given second, measured in watts. Most top pros train with power, and as more options enter the market and costs drop, more and more recreational riders are leaping onto the bandwagon.
Most top pro cyclists train with bike power meters, and as more options enter the market and costs drop, more and more recreational riders are leaping onto the bandwagon.
What Is A Watt?
Simply put, watt is power, and power is torque multiplied by angular speed. In cycling, that translates into pressure on the pedals times intonation. Power is used to overcome the forces of gravity, wind,
In cycling terms, that translates into pressure on the pedals times intonation. Power is used to overcome the forces of gravity, wind, inertia, and friction. Most power meters measure torque, either in the crankset, heart or the pedals and use that figure to work out the power in watts. Another methodology is to start with the opposite side of the equation, adding up all the forces opposing forward motion and working
Another methodology is to start with the opposite side of the equation, adding up all the forces opposing forward motion and then working backward to work out power.
By using a bicycle power meter on your bicycle isn’t going to make you any faster. Cyclists will need to learn how to utilize the numbers thrown out, or hire a coach who does.
Bike Power Meters That You Can Purchase Online
Although some of these bicycle power meters can be pricey, there are some great options that can be bought online.
If you are interested in finding out more about any of these bike power meters, simply click on the link or the pic that interests you.
- The Kinetic inRide sensor and Heart Rate Monitor pairs with the iPhone 4s using Bluetooth Smart protocols, eliminating the need for additional dongles.
- The Kinetic inRide sensor transmits power, cadence, speed, and distance.
- Personalized power and heart rate zone info based on rider lactate threshold or maximum heart rate.
- Auto calculated wattage and HR zones show current, average, max heart rate and total time spent in each training zone during any workout.
- The Kinetic inRide is only compatible with Kinetic fluid resistance trainers and is backward compatible with all current models.
- Compatible with iPhone 4s and newer and iPad 3 and newer.
Training with power has always been an expensive affair. First, you need the power meter itself, and to add insult to injury, you then have to purchase a CPU. Luckily, Kinetic has simplified the process by harnessing the power of your Apple iPhone or iPad with its
First, you need the power meter itself, and to add insult to injury, you then have to purchase a CPU. Luckily, Kinetic has simplified the process by harnessing the power of your Apple iPhone or iPad with its
Luckily, Kinetic has simplified the process by harnessing the power of your Apple iPhone or iPad with its inRide Watt Meter. Now, you can receive all of the metrics that are vital to indoor training right on your own device for a fraction of the typical price.
The package includes a heart rate monitor, an inRide Sensor Pod, a rubber grommet, and a magnet. For the setup, you simply place the grommet and magnet into the pre-drilled hole on your Kinetic roller plate.
For the setup, you simply place the grommet and magnet into the pre-drilled hole on your Kinetic roller plate. Afterward, you simply place the inRide Sensor in alignment with the magnet on the rear of the trainer. And now that everything is in place, you strap on the included heart rate monitor (HRM), and you’re off.
Please note that this system is only compatible with the Apple iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPad Mini, and the newest iPod Touch. Additionally, the system is only compatible with Kinetic By Kurt Road Machine, Rock and Roll, and Pro Trainer indoor trainers.
- ALL YOUR FAVORITE STATS: Displays current, max, and average speed, total distance, two trip distances, elapsed time, pace arrow, and clock.
- DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STOPS: Caught at a red light? Stopping for coffee? We’ve got you covered. Your CatEye computer knows when you’ve stopped and automatically stops counting time and averaging speed.
- FOCUS ON THE RIDE, NOT THE SCREEN: Don’t let navigating menus or buttons get in the way of enjoying your ride. Simply press the base of the unit to toggle through functions.
- SECURE AND GO: With our FlexTight Bracket, you can easily mount, adjust, and move your computer by hand. Spend less time setting up your gear and more time on the road.
- SWITCH BETWEEN BIKES: Dual tire size lets you use one computer for two bikes.
Magellan CY0315SGHNA Cyclo 315hc GPS Cycling Computer with Ant+ Heart Rate Monitor and Speed/Cadence Sensor
- Cyclo 315hc bike power meter includes a heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor. Rugged and water resistant (IPX-7) to take on any terrain; all have a user-friendly interface in a 3″ color swipe anywhere touchscreen with large control buttons for gloved hands.
- Works with over 130 ANT+ sensors and also records/reads shifting information from Di2 electronic shifting systems with a Di2 Wireless Unit and D-Fly. Info displayed by gear position, number or visually by a chart/graph. Battery status and alerts as well.
- Complete USA road network for audible and turn by turn navigation and Open Street Maps (OSM) crowd source trail data displaying cycle lanes, cycle tracks and bike shop POIs. Discover new cycle routes and bike trails or record and share your own.
- Custom cycling profiles (up to 6) can be created to show routes specifically designed for your riding equipment, style and sensors attached. For mountain biking profiles the routes suggested will even show what % of the route is on dirt vs. paved roads.
- Input distance or time and Cyclo will provide up to 3 routes for a rider to select. Each route shows elevation gain and difficulty. In a new city or just want to try something new Cyclo’s Surprise Me is perfect for any rider looking for a graded loop.
By clicking on the above images, you will also see what else is available as far as bike power meters go.